The aim is simple: read and write on your blog about 50+ classic books over the course of 5 years.
Simple stuff, right?
The daunting part is trying to pick titles for this! There is a plethora of classics out there. Stacks of them! But after a lot of sitting around and thinking about it over half-a-dozen cups of tea, I have 20 of the 50 titles I would like to read for this.
I’m leaving 21-50 blank, not because I’m planning to bail on the challenge, but because I think my reading tastes are going to continue to evolve over the next few years. A book that might fill me with joy now may be of little interest in 4 years’ time.
Here’s to evolution! Huzzah!
The Classics Challenge Reading List – to be completed by 15/06/2021.
- Albee, Edward: Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
- Austen, Jane: Complete Juvenilia
- Balzac, Honore: The Black Sheep
- Bengtsson: The Long Ships
- Bronte, Charlotte: Villette
- Dumas, Alexandre: The Count of Monte Cristo
- Ferrier, Susan: The Inheritance
- Foer, Jonathan Safran: Everything is Illuminated
- Forster, E.M.: Howard’s End
- Franklin, Benjamin: Autobiography
- Gaskell, Elizabeth: Sylvia’s Lovers
- Jekyll, Agnes: The Kitchen Diaries
- Kingsolver, Barbara: The Poisonwood Bible
- Marquez, Gabriel Garcia: One Hundred Years of Solitude
- Orczy, Baroness: The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Schulz, Bruno: The Street of Crocodiles
- Vonnegut, Kurt: Slaughterhouse Five
- Wharton, Edith: The House of Mirth
- Woolf, Leonard: The Wise Virgins
- Woolf, Virginia: Melymbrosia